Monday, December 8, 2008

Why "Touch the Flame?"

The title comes ostensibly from the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name"...

I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name

But the idea of "touching the flame" - reaching out, taking chances, embracing inspiration, giving in to temptation - has always intrigued me. I remember as a young child visiting my grandmother and being fascinated by a burning candle on the table. "Don't touch it" she cautioned. "It'll hurt." But of course, when her attention was away I slowly moved my finger closer and closer to the flame, until I touched it and was burned. Despite that early lesson in fascination and trust and danger and pain I still desire to touch the flame.

No comments: