Thursday, December 11, 2008

Terabithia

A few years ago someone said something to me about trying to get to Terabithia, and me, not wanting to appear to be completely out of the loop didn't mention that I had no idea what they were talking about. It was one of those moments where you just kind of nod and say something like "Yeah, I know just what you mean" and then move on hoping they don't expect you to elaborate.

Of course, as soon as I got home I hopped on the Internet and found there was a children's book titled "The Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Patterson. Not familiar with it I asked my daughter - who at that point in her life was probably consuming two or three books a day - if she was familiar with it. "Oh, yeah, I read that years ago - it was pretty good" she said. "Do you have a copy?" "No." So, I sort of shoved it into the back of the drawer of my mind for the time being.

Not long after I was working with a church that was reorganizing their library and was packing up a number of books to give away to make room for new materials. As I was packing, my hands came across a copy of "The Bridge to Terabithia." I expressed that I had been wanting to read it and was told to please feel free to take it home.

Suffice to say I went home, started the book and could not put it down. It touched me in a really profound way. And through the book, I came to think of "Terabithia" as a place we can retreat to, a place where we can get away from the world, and where we can feel safe.

This community is my own little Terabithia on the Internet. I plan on visiting here often, and hope others do, too. And if you have a book that's touched you in such a way, please let me know.

Peace...

No comments: